Frequently asked questions

Can all the family drink water?

Yes! All the minerals our organism needs are found in SIEAM’s water, with no excess. The water is supplied and checked 24 hours a day and may be consumed daily by everyone, with no restrictions.
SIEAM’s water has a good mineral balance. It contains magnesium, calcium and sodium in reasonable quantities. It is therefore ideal for children from a very young age, the elderly and people on a low-sodium diet.

Can I prepare a baby’s bottle with tap water?

The tap water delivered to the foot of apartment blocks presents no dangers for pregnant and breast-feeding women or for preparing babies’ bottles. However, the condition of the pipes inside some buildings may cause the quality of the water that comes out of the tap to deteriorate. It is therefore important to check that your internal network is in good condition and ensure that the materials are compliant. In the evening, after other uses, pour some water into a glass jug and keep it in the fridge to enjoy high-quality chilled water.

Why does the water sometimes taste of chlorine?

We add a small quantity of chlorine to the water to protect it and help it maintain its qualities while it is travelling through the pipes to your tap. This treatment is a guarantee against the development of bacteria. The application of the “Plan Vigipirate” (high alert security plan) requires us to leave a minimum concentration of chlorine in the water. Its residual level in your tap is of no danger to health. But it is sometimes unpleasant to smell it.

Why does my water sometimes have a rusty colour?

The water that travels through the public network to serve your building is of good quality. However, this quality may be reduced by damage to an internal network or a problem on the public network. Poor maintenance, faulty design or old pipes inside the building may cause corrosion. While you wait to have work done on the pipes, do not use the first quantity of water run from the tap in the morning. When water stagnates, it picks up sediment from corroded pipes.
The water may also take on a colour following an incident on the network or after using the fire hydrant. Iron deposits in the pipes may be placed in suspension when the water is forced through the pipes more quickly than usual.

Please contact SIEAM to report the problem.

Is there any lead in the association’s water?

SIEAM’s water does not contain any lead. If it is found in the water emerging from the consumer’s tap, this may be caused by lead pipes in old buildings and water stagnating in these pipes. There are no lead connections on SIEAM’s territory.

Why separate wastewater from rainwater?

The sewage networks and treatment plants are designed and built to receive volumes of water equivalent to household wastewater discharges. If we were to connect rainwater, this would lead to major fluctuations in volume that the installations cannot cope with. This would lead to extra treatment costs, network overloads and flooding and problems at the sewage treatment plants. So rainwater cannot be discharged without caution. You should refer to the technical instructions issued by the competent services (depending on the discharge location concerned: “mairie”, community of communes or departmental council).

Do you have to declare boreholes?

Since 1st January 2009, any individual using a well or borehole or wishing to create one must declare it or his project to the “mairie”. This obligation applies to:
• existing structures,
• wells or boreholes for domestic use (consumption less than 1000 m3 per year, i.e. virtually all the individuals’ installations).
These declarations are in line with environmental and health objectives:
• they allow the public drinking water service to check that the water from domestic boreholes is not likely to contaminate the water resource or the public network,
• they allow the people using these structures to ensure that the water presents no risk to their health. A water analysis by a Ministry of Health approved laboratory is mandatory where human consumption is concerned.
This declaration is mandatory. It is made by filling in the form available in the “mairie”.

Can the water from my swimming pool be drained away with the wastewater?

NO, in accordance with article R. 1331-2 of the Public Health Regulations, “It is prohibited to introduce into the wastewater collection systems [...]. “However, this water should be discharged with caution. You should refer to the technical instructions issued by the competent services (depending on the discharge location concerned: “mairie”, community of communes or departmental council).

Have you just arrived in a SIEAM commune or changed your address, or are you building a property?

Please fill in the online form.

Are you leaving your accommodation or selling your home?

Please fill in the online form; our agents will come and read the meter on the given date.
You will then receive a final invoice at your new address to close your account.

Are you building in a SIEAM commune?

Please fill in the online form

1, square d'Aquitaine - BP 55 40141 SOUSTONS Cedex 05 58 41 43 15 Lundi - Vendredi : 08h00 - 12h00 / 13h30 - 17h30